After blogging about Mean Girls last week, I felt the need for something equally comedic but with a bit more of a plot to it. I ended up with this:
Reasons why Ocean's Eleven is awesome:
1. The casting is completely flawless.
2. Rusty (Brad Pitt) reminds me of Dean Winchester. He's always eating, he has an old car that he refuses to replace, he's constantly pretending to be someone he's not, and he's kind of hilarious. Okay, so it only works if you ignore that whole demon hunting thing, but apart from that it totally works! Also, Brad Pitt is BRILLIANT in this.
|Okay, Dean would never wear this outfit. But you can see it, right? Also, source.|
4. Rusty teaching celebrities to play poker. Hilarious.
5. Celebrities playing dumb caricatures of themselves.
|Here, have some gratuitous Joshua Jackson playing poker. Also, source.|
7. Don Cheadle as Basher.
8. Because I love a good heist movie.
9. Matt Damon as Linus.
11. That the full genius of the heist and how it comes together is hidden from the audience until almost the very end.
12. George Clooney in a tuxedo.
14. Basher covering his groin before setting off the pinch.
15. Casey Affleck and Scott Caan as the Malloy brothers.
17. Danny's conversation with his parole officer.
18. Elliot Gould as Reuben. He's perfect as the disgruntled former casino owner/bankroller.
20. Shaobo Qin as The Amazing Yen. He'd never acted before, and I think he's amazing in this!
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I hope you were the groom."
- "Shane, you've got three pairs. You can't have six cards! You can't have six cards in a five card draw."
- "Now, they tell me I paid my debt to society." "Funny, I never got a cheque."
- "Tess is with Benedict now? She's too tall for him!"
- "Did someone call for a doctor?"
- "You're a thief and a liar." "I only lied about being a thief."
- "We need to get Rusty a girl!" "There's a women's prison just down the road?"
- "Ten oughta do it, don't you think?... You think we need one more?...You think we need one more... All right, we'll get one more."
- "Thirteen million and you drive this piece of shit cross country to pick me up?" "Blew it all on the suit."
- "Why do they always paint hallways that colour?" "They say taupe is very soothing."
- "I always confuse Monet and Manet. Now, which one married his mistress?" "Monet." "Right, and then Manet has syphilis." "They also painted occasionally."
- "It'll be nice, working with proper villains again."
- "Unless we intend to do this job in Reno, we're in Barney. [gets confused looks in response] Barney Rubble? [Danny shrugs] TROUBLE!!"
- "Why do this?" "Why not do it? [Rusty shakes his head] Cause yesterday I walked out of the joint after losing four years of my life and you're cold-decking Teen Beat cover boys. Cause the house always wins. Play long enough, you never change the stakes. The house takes you. Unless, when that perfect hand comes along, you bet, and you bet big, and then you take the house..." "Been practising this speech, haven't you?" "Little bit. Did I rush it? Felt like I rushed it." "No, it was good, I liked it. The Teen Beat thing was harsh."
- "Smash and grab job, huh?" "Slightly more complicated than that." "Well, yeah."
- "Apparently he's got a record longer than my.........well, it's long."
- "You're Bobby Caldwell's kid. From Chicago. It's nice there, do you like it?" "Yeah." "That's wonderful, get in the goddamn house."
- "What happened, Benedict? You get robbed or something?"
And my all time favourite line,
- "Ted Nugent called, he wants his shirt back."
Anyone else love a good banter-filled heist movie?