Dear High School Kirsti,
You'll probably be devastated to learn that both Friends, The X-Files, and Dawson's Creek have finished. And that Back to the Future II was filled with lies. We still don't have hoverboards or flying cars. Fingers crossed that changes between now and 2015!
Anyway, I have a few tips for you from the future.
1. Whatever you're wearing, DON'T. Take it off and burn it. I know you don't want to be a clone who follows the trends. But a sleeveless silk shirt and (fake) pearl necklace with camo pants from the army disposals shop and hiking boots? Not good. Same goes for an X-Files t-shirt with checked baggy pants, white socks and clunky black patent loafers:
|Yes, that's tiny puppy Domino in my lap. Also, please marvel at our ghetto|
television. Which was actually switched on, contrary to appearances.
3. Crying over not knowing how to do long division? Totally not worth it. You'll just have a headache in addition to not knowing how to do it. Mobile phones will have calculators built into them, so it's a total waste of time.
4. Don't quit hockey because there are no mixed teams after under 16s and the girls team is populated by snobs.
|Please marvel at the quality derp in this photo...|
6. Do not get a bob. It will make your head look pyramid shaped.
|Yes, I wore a uniform. 99% of Australian schools do.|
Hair style by Pharaoh Khufu.
8. Don't explain your yearbook quotes. No one will remember why they were funny in 10 years anyway.
9. You'll go through six years at the one high school (the longest you've ever spent in one place), and at the end of it, people still won't be able to spell (or pronounce!) your name. Get used to it, kid. It'll happen every day for the rest of your life. The best to date? KRISIITI. Yeah. That happened.
10. Sunscreen: remember to reapply it on school sports days. Spending a week looking like a human panda with a bad case of leprosy? Not enjoyable. [And thank you to Google Images for bringing up a picture of Kim Kardashian when I tried to find a picture to put in here. Apparently Google agrees with that 12 year old from last month]
11. Burn this outfit. Including the shoes and the hat:
13. Get in the damned photo. It won't kill you.
14. Embrace the internet. It's going to be where a bunch of your friends live someday.
15. Faking period pain every year during House cross country and going to sick bay? GENIUS IDEA. It'll work every time.
16. Take more photos. Of everything.
17. The day you can finally drop art will be one of the greatest days of your life.
18. Wear ridiculous pants like these while your legs are still that thin:
|In my defence, it was a 1970s themed birthday party|
20. Hang on to these girls. They're awesome and you'll have some seriously amazing times with them:
21. Don't worry so much about your 18th birthday being half way through the first semester of university. Over 10 years later and people are STILL talking about that party.
Don't sweat the small stuff, kid. You'll do okay.
Kirsti from 2012.