Recently, the lovely Gina has been posing questions on Twitter, asking what people's favourite movies by a particular actor are. The other day, the actor in question was Tom Hanks. Now, I have issues with Tom Hanks. I don't know what it is, but on the whole I can't stand his movies. Forrest Gump? Makes me want to stab myself in the eye. Sleepless in Seattle? Cue vomiting. Cast Away? Excuse me while I break out the Hulk Hands. I actually fell asleep in the movie theatre seeing The Da Vinci Code. And don't even get me started on Apollo 13!!*
Reasons why That Thing You Do! is awesome:
1. Steve Zahn. His character is about 80% of why I love this movie.
3. Ethan Embry.
4. Tom Hanks having a little rocking out moment during 'Dance with Me Tonight'.
6. The scene at Disneyland.
8. Not only did Tom Hanks star in it, he also wrote the screenplay, directed it, and wrote a decent chunk of the music. You have to admit, that's pretty incredible.
9. Chris Isaak plays Tom Everett Scott's religious record producing uncle.
10. The occasionally bonkers costumes (including, but not limited to, a shirt that looks like it was stolen from Doctor Evil. I tried and failed to find a picture of this. SAD FACE.).
11. The scene where they win the talent show and Ethan Embry jumps up and down with excitement and his guitar strap breaks.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "Are those prescription [sunglasses] or are you just trying to look cool?" "Well... I AM the drummer..."
- "What if they ask for an encore?" "You unplug and you run! Run off stage! Smiling... Smiling, of course. No encore."
- "Hey, Uncle Bob? When are we gonna get these records?" "[thinks] Ah, Luke 21:19." "...Let your patience possess ye your souls." "Luke?? Who's Luke? When are we getting the records??" "[sigh] Wednesday."
- "Skitch, how did we get here?" "I led you here, sir, for I am Spartacus."
- "Darlene, you just got promoted." "You mean you're going to start paying me?" "I didn't say that."
- "Oh, there he goes, off to his room to write that hit song, 'Alone in my Principles'..."
- "You're playing at a restaurant by the AIRPORT?"
- "Guys? Chad fell down..."
- "Wait, where was I? Oh, right. Playing my guitar!"
- "Shame on me for kissing you with my eyes closed so tight."
- "[laying out money] Know what this is?" "Presidential flashcards?"
- "The word is out on you O-nee-ders!" "Hey! That's O-ned-ers."
- "So, how long have you been working at Playtone?" "How long have you been wearing such tight pants?" "If that was a pick up line, we're a match made in Heaven!"
So, does anyone other than me, Gina and Kim love this movie??
* I won't judge you for loving any of the above. I just won't watch them with you.