This Thursday is Australia Day, which marks the arrival of the First Fleet to Botany Bay in 1788. And so in honour of all things Australian, I decided that this week's movie would be one of my two all-time favourite Australian movies:
Reasons why Priscilla is totally awesome:
1. Guy Pearce. If for no other reason, you have to watch this movie for Guy Pearce. He's completely amazing. And a very convincing drag queen!
3. Hugo Weaving. He's Elrond, Agent Smith, and the voice of Megatron. Basically, he's a badass. And brilliant in this.
5. Bill Hunter. Apparently he was filming this and Muriel's Wedding at the same time. And he's awesome in both of them.
6. Hugo Weaving trying to repair the bus with face cream.
7. Terence Stamp.
8. The scenery. Especially Kings Canyon.
9. The scene walking down the street in Broken Hill.
10. The flashback to Hugo Weaving's wedding.
11. The little songs Guy Pearce sings.
12. The random woman who's running across Australia for charity and who keeps popping up randomly along their trip.
13. Terence Stamp waking up with a cake as a pillow.
14. The completely bonkers wigs and outfits they wear while doing "I Will Survive".
15. The Mamma Mia routine.
16. The fact that it can be such a hilarious movie while simultaneously dealing with incredibly serious issues.
17. Guy Pearce lip syncing to opera sitting in a giant silver shoe on top of a bus in the middle of the desert.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "I hereby christen this budget Barbie camper... Priscilla: Queen of the Desert!"
- "Great. That's just what this country needs. A cock in a frock on a rock."
- [regarding sausages] "How do you like your little boys, girls?"
- [to a bogan woman in the Broken Hill pub] "Now listen here, you mullet. Why don't you just light your tampon and blow your box apart? Because it's the only bang you're going to get!"
- "Oh, Felicia. Where the fuck are we?"
- "What are you telling me? This is an ABBA turd???"
- "Is it true when you were born, the doctor turned around and slapped your mother?"
- "What a nice dog. What's its name?" "Herpes. If she's good, she'll heel."
- "Oh, you CAN'T do that with a ping-pong ball!" "Do you wanna bet?"
- "If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cabaret act do you do?" "We dress up in women's clothes and parade around mouthing the words to other people's songs."
- "Do you know why this microphone has such a long cord?" "Why?" "So it's easily retrieved after I shove it up your arse!"
- "[sings] A desert holiday, let's pack the drag away! You pack the lunch and tea, I'll pack the ecstacy. Fuck off you silly queer, I'm getting out of here. A desert holiday, hip hip hip HIP hooray!"
Here's to patriotism at its most ridiculous!
Has anyone seen the stage show as well as the movie? How do they compare?