By some bizarre miracle, I managed to go until I was 21 without seeing this movie. I can even tell you the exact date and place on which I first saw it - 25th June 2004, sitting in Megan's parents' house in rural Nebraska. According to my travel diary, it was "a little cheesy, but still fun". Since then, I've seen it about a million times </slight exaggeration> and I love it more every time I do.
1. BECAUSE IT IS, DAMMIT.
2. You get to relive the hilarity of 1980s 8-bit video games.
3. Cary Elwes. I can never decide if I love him more in this or in Robin Hood: Men in Tights.
4. The soundtrack, which was written by Mark Knopfler of Dire Straights fame.
5. Mandy Patinkin. Even *he* says it was his favourite role ever.
6. There are pirates.
7. Andre the Giant.
8. Rodents of Unusual Size.
9. Chris Sarandon as Prince Humperdinck. He's a genius at portraying a total knobhead. And went on to be the voice of Jack Skellington in The Nightmare Before Christmas!
10. Robin Wright. For someone with a pretty limited acting career prior to this, she's amazing.
11. The eyebrows on the crazy old lady in Buttercup's nightmare.
12. Billy Crystal.
13. The mother's hilarious mullet hair. Aaah, the 1980s...
14. It's directed by Rob Reiner, who's also responsible for A Few Good Men, Stand By Me, When Harry Met Sally, and This Is Spinal Tap.
15. The scene where Fezzik is reviving Inigo. Poor Mandy Patinkin...
16. The bit where Westley dives into the lightning sand to rescue Buttercup.
|Sadly, this was the best picture I could find. Also, source|
17. The marriage scene with the Impressive Clergyman. How to know you're around children of the 1980s? You go to a wedding and half a dozen people quote the Impressive Clergyman. Also? The Impressive Clergyman is Peter Cook.
18. The 24th anniversary reunion photo.
19. Wallace Shawn as Vizzini. Even if every time I see him, it makes me want to watch Clueless...
20. Inigo finally getting his revenge on the six fingered man. It just makes you want to cheer.
And so very many quotes:
- "A book?" "That's right. When I was your age, television was called BOOKS."
- "Is this a kissing book?"
- "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
- "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while."
- "No more rhymes now, I mean it!" "Anybody want a peanut?"
- "INCONTHEIVABLE!!!" "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
- "...Iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled by criminals..."
- "You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well know is this: 'Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line'! Ahahahahaha! Ahahahaha! Ahaha-"
- "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says otherwise is selling something."
- "Get back, witch!" "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife!"
- "Bye bye, boys!" "Have fun storming the castle!"
- "Let me explain. No. There is too much. Let me sum up."
- "Mawage. Mawage is what bwings us togevver today. Mawage, that bwessed awangement. That dweam wivvin a dweam..."
- "Why do you wear a mask? Were you burned by acid or something like that?" "Oh no, it's just that they're terribly comfortable. I think everyone will be wearing them in the future."
- "Yes, you're very smart. Shut up."
- "First things first. To the death." "NO! To the pain."
- "Murdered by pirates is good."