1. Alan Rickman. Even though he's a total knob who's cheating on Emma Thompson (HOW COULD ANYONE CHEAT ON EMMA THOMPSON!!!), he's still Alan Rickman. He makes any movie awesome.
3. Bill Nighy as Billy Mack. Genius.
4. Hugh Grant's ridiculous dance.
5. Hugh Grant, full stop. Because he's TOTALLY get elected to run the country! (There are a whopping two movies starring Hugh Grant which don't make me want to punch him. This is one of them. The other is Music and Lyrics)
6. The soundtrack.
8. Martine McCutcheon.
9. Richard Curtis wrote and directed it. The man responsible for Bridget Jones' Diary, The Vicar of Dibley, Mr Bean, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Blackadder, and a particularly brilliant episode of Doctor Who featuring Vincent van Gogh. How could it not be amazing?!
11. Billy Bob Thornton as the President of the United State. Hilarity. And a small dose of creepy.
12. The brilliance that is Emma Thompson. Apparently she cried on cue about 30 times in the scene where she's just found out that her husband bought an expensive necklace for someone else.
13. Colin Firth.
14. The scene when Kris Marshall's at an American bar and the girls are making him say random words.
15. When the little kids make Hugh Grant sing Christmas carols. And the look on his face when his security guy joins in.
16. This scene. It's perfection:
17. Rowan Atkinson gift wrapping the necklace. Genius.
18. Olivia Olsen's voice. For a kid of eleven, that song was truly spectacular. Especially considering Richard Curtis had them change it to make it sound more child-like because he thought her voice was too mature.
19. Thomas Sangster as Sam. The kid's amazing.
20. When Colin Firth's character tries to speak Portuguese. Adorkable.
Plus, the following quotes:
- "There was more than one lobster present at the birth of Jesus??" "DUH."
- "You'll come back a broken man." "Yeah, back broken from too much sex!"
- "Invite him out for a drink and then, after about twenty minutes, casually drop into the conversation the fact that you'd like to marry him and have lots of sex and babies."
- "I love that word, "relationship." Covers all manner of sins, doesn't it? I fear that this has become a BAD relationship; a relationship based on the President taking exactly what he wants and casually ignoring all those things that really matter to, erm... Britain. We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckham's left foot, come to that. And a friend who bullies us is no longer a friend. And since bullies only respond to strength, from now onward I will be prepared to be much stronger. And the President should be prepared for that."
- "Hello, David. I mean "sir". Shit, I can't believe I've just said that. And now I've gone and said "shit" - twice. I'm so sorry, sir." "It's fine, it's fine. You could've said "fuck," and then we'd have been in real trouble.""Thank you, sir. I did have an awful premonition that I was gonna fuck up on the first day. Oh, piss it!"
- "The SAS are absolutely charming. Ruthless trained killers are just a phone call away!"
- "I'm very busy and important. How can I help you?"
- "This is shit, isn't it?" "Yep. Solid gold shit, maestro!"
- "Oh! Fuck wank bugger shitting arse head and hole!"
- "Now, which doll shall we give Daisy's little friend Emily? The one that looks like a transvestite or the one that looks like a dominatrix?" (<-- How Emma Thompson kept a straight face while delivering that line, I will never know.)
- "If you believe in Father Christmas, children, like your Uncle Billy does, buy my festering turd of a record."
- "You learned English." "Just in cases."
- "Where the fuck is my fucking coat??"
- "There better not be eels in here. I can't stand eels..."
- "I'm not sure it'll be possible to get the Pope on the phone tonight... Yes... Yes, I'm sure he's VERY good at exorcisms, but... Well, I'm SURE Jon Bon Jovi is as well. I'll look into it."
- "What else can there be? Are you going to dip it in yoghurt? Cover it in chocolate buttons?"
- "Ohhhh, that is SO inconvenient..."
- "Ohhhh, that is SO inconvenient..."
What's your Christmas movie of choice?