What with Christmas shenanigans going on pretty much non-stop between Thursday night and last night, I didn't get a chance to sit down and watch any movies this week. Which is a shame, because I had grand plans to celebrate the 10th (ARGH I FEEL OLD NOW) anniversary of the release of The Lord of the Rings. Okay, technically it's just the tenth anniversary of the release of The Fellowship of the Ring, but that's totally not the point. Needless to say, if I didn't have the time to watch one movie, I didn't have the time to watch NINE hours of hobbity, elfy, dwarfy, wizardy, gobliny, Gollumy roaming-about-the-country-side-ness.
That said, have you guys SEEN the trailer for The Hobbit?????????
*flails with excitement*
Ahem. Boxing Day in Australia marks the start of the summer blockbuster season. So needless to say, there's quite a bit coming out soon that I can't wait to see. And in researching what's coming out soon that I can't wait to see, I got a little carried away. So just for a change, I present you with a list.
What I'm stupidly excited about seeing in 2012:
- The Adventures of Tintin. I was a MAJOR Tintin fan when I was in late primary school. I think mostly because he got to roam around the world doing cool stuff whereas I had to sit through hours and hours of maths and PE and Latin. SNORE. The screenplay for the movie comes courtesy of Stephen Moffat (head writer for Doctor Who) and Edgar Wright (writer and director of Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim vs the World). It's directed by Stephen Spielberg, produced by Peter Jackson, and stars (the voices of) Jamie Bell, Andy Serkis, Daniel Craig, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg. WIN.
- One for the Money. Yeah, I know it looks pretty ordinary. And it stars Katherine Heigl, who the universe went from loving to loathing basically overnight. But I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum books, and I'm curious to see how it turned out.
- The Hunger Games. I read all three of the books in quick succession back in October. And OHMIGOD I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THE MOVIE!!
- Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. It looks awesome. And has an incredible cast.
- Men in Black 3. I don't really care if it's the most appalling shit. I loved the first two, so I'll be seeing the third one!
- The Amazing Spiderman. It can't possibly be worse than Spiderman 3, can it?
- American Reunion. Much like MIB 3, I can't not see this.
- Dark Shadows. Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter. You can pretty much tell from that what it's going to be.
- Skyfall. I wasn't a huge fan of Quantum of Solace. It seemed to have even less plot than most Bond movies. Plus, I realised as the credits rolled, that I didn't know the names of half the characters. So I'm interested to see if Skyfall is an improvement on that.
- The Hobbit. Obviously, after posting the trailer above. I seriously can't wait for this to come out. I know what I'm doing next Boxing Day, that's for sure!!
What are you guys looking forward to seeing at the movies in 2012?