Wheeeeeeeeee, it's that time of the week again! I first saw this week's offering when I was studying in the UK in 2002. A friend in our dorm/college/block went away for the weekend, and gifted Megan and I with her TV while she was gone, which had a built in VCR. (YES, I SAID VCR. It was the olden days. Shut up.)
Anyway, we promptly marched ourselves up the street to the video store to rent something fun. After submitting 100 points of ID to join (seriously. It was INSANE), we came out with this:
And it's freaking epic.
Reasons why The Count of Monte Cristo is awesome:
1. Richard Harris. Seriously, the man could do no wrong. (And as a bonus, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets came out at the movies at around the same time we first watched this!)
3. Jim Caviezel being generally awesome.
4. The entrance by hot air balloon. It rivals a Captain Jack Sparrow entrance.
6. Jacopo. Best character ever, hands down.
7. Sword fights.
10. Guy Pearce being evil.
11. The party invitations. They're pretty epic.
12. Billowy cloaks of doom. You really can't go wrong with a billowy cloak of doom (*cough* Snape *cough), can you?
Plus, of course, the following quotes:
- "King's to you, Fernand."
- "I'm a priest, not a saint."
- "Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes."
- "I swear on my dead relatives, even on the ones who are not feeling so good, I am your man for life."
- "The stronger swordsman does not necessarily win. It is speed! Speed of hand. Speed of mind."
- "How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."
- "Why not just kill them? I'll do it! I'll run up to Paris, bam, bam, bam, bam, I'm back before week's end, we spend the treasure. How is this a bad plan??" <-- favourite line EVER
Does anyone else love this as much as I do? (And yes, I know it totally mangled the crap out of the book. I like it better this way...)